If food could be controversial, then tuna must be in the conversation. There is so much talk as to how much mercury is in the fish and how damaging it could be. Mercury, in excessive amounts, can be damaging to the nervous system, liver, kidneys and practically the whole body! Yet with the excessive toxicity it is commonly used in tooth fillings such as amalgam. Always refuse amalgam fillings as these are composed of mercury and are common sources of mercury poisoning.
But, what about the fish? Okay, well the most common fish to watch for mercury are the large fish such as tuna, shark, mackerel and swordfish. These fish are highest in the food chain, so they eat all the other little fish. Little fish have little quantities of mercury. The big fish eat a lot of little fish, and all that mercury builds up in the big fish, which is why we find high amounts of mercury in bigger fish.
Does this mean you should stop eating fish? NO! Instead fish is much healthier than most red meat and chicken in the market. Try eating smaller fish like salmon, tilapia, flouder, bluefish and snapper.
A recent study done by Purdue University found that when individuals ate tuna the amount of mercury absorbed decreased after consuming oat bran, wheat bran and black tea. In many Asian cultures that consume large amounts of fish, they also have a high intake of tea, coincidence? Likely not so.
Here are a few products that would help with inhibiting mercury absorption:
Follow me on Twitter @NutritionDocNYU