Straight from the docks – fresh evidence that Fish Oil is absolutely essential to your health – especially for cognitive brain function, as well as aging.
Researchers at Rhode Island Hospital’s Alzheimer’s Disease & Memory Disorders Center have found positive associations between Fish Oil supplements and cognitive functioning as well as differences in brain structure between users and non-users of Fish Oil supplements. The findings suggest possible benefits of Fish Oil supplements on brain health and aging.
The results were reported at the recent International Conference on Alzheimer’s Disease, in Paris, France that just wrapped-up on July 21st; and truly provide new hope for anybody concerned about the long-range health of their brain.hmmmm, are you taking Fish Oil?
The study included 819 individuals, 117 of them reported regular use of Fish Oil supplements before entry and during study follow-up. The researchers compared cognitive functioning and brain degeneration for patients who reported routinely using these supplements to those who were not using Fish Oil supplements.
Lori Daiello, PharmD, lead researcher, reports that compared to non-users, use of Fish Oil supplements was associated with better cognitive functioning. However, this association was significant only in those individuals who had a normal baseline cognitive function and in individuals who tested negative for a genetic risk factor for Alzheimer’s Disease known as APOE4. This is consistent with previous research.
The unique finding, however, is that there was a clear association between Fish Oil supplements and brain volume.In other words, Fish Oil use was associated with less brain shrinkage in patients taking these supplements during the study compared to those who didn’t use them.
Hey, but before you click over to House of Nutrition to get your brain healthy product – you should probably ask – How do I chose a Fish Oil supplement?
Glad you asked! Here are some easy tips.
- Look for the seal. Companies including USP and NSF analyze supplements for the real vitamin level and for any impurities. The seal on the label tells you an independent company has reviewed the supplement.Also, a reputable company will also ensure that the purity, quality and your safety are guaranteed.
- Look for oil which is molecularly distilled, a process that takes place in a vacuum to avoid oxidation of Fish Oil. This is the only process that successfully removes impurities and contaminants from Fish Oil. This process also produces a more concentrated form of Fish Oil supplement with high potencies of EPA and DHA.
- Look for a product that’s “species specific,” with fish like wild Salmon, Anchovies and Sardines on the label (btw these are the specific varieties which have the highest levels and the best Fish Oil for Omega-3). This is the only way to know where the oil came from. When a supplement label just says “fish oil” or “marine lipids,” they’re hiding something and the product should NOT be considered.
- Look for supplements that have a balanced ratio of all eight Omega-3 fatty acids. Research has proven that all eight members of the Omega-3 family are vitally important to your health. The Omega-3 nutrients need to be complete and balanced, just like they are in nature, in order to be beneficial. Many people have heard of ALA, DHA and EPA – they’re the Omega-3 ‘all-stars’. But DPA, HPA, ETA, ETA and SDA are all just as important. And when the whole Fish Oil family is present, they’re much more powerful than any individual fatty acid.
- Lastly, make sure there are no unlabeled oils or strange ingredients hidden in the product. How? Take a moment to add up the individual Omega-3 fatty acids listed on the label. They should equal the total amount of oil in the product. Otherwise, you’re getting ripped off!
So now that you know what to look for come by and check out some great prices on some really superior Fish Oil products like:
Jeanne Ricks, CHC, AADP