1. Call your mom (or anyone else who may take the place of ‘mom’ from time to time) for NO reason whatsoever. Have no motive. Just say hi. Ask them how they’re doing. Don’t talk about yourself. Moms LOVE this kind of stuff.
2. Find somewhere local that you can volunteer for one hour this week. It takes 3 minutes (Google or craigslist: 1 min + possible 2 min for email/phone call). A lot of gyms & studios (the YMCA included) will trade off volunteer hours for classes – great way for some instant Karma rewards. Go.
3. Call an old friend. Take 30 minutes out of Tumblr/Facebook/TV time and actually dial the digits. It’s not as scary as you might think. No pick up? On to the next. Speaking to a friend at least once a week can enhance friendships. Texting? Not so much (and I’m the queen of texting, I hate talking on the phone). Aside from a good thumb workout, texting doesn’t enrich. We like voice.
4. Bake something for someone else. Depending on your goals, you might not want to keep baked goods easily available, but what happens when you want ONE cookie? Make the full recipe for others. Tons of healthy recipes out there: always good to give someone something fresh. Bring them to work, school, the gym etc. (beware of allergy policies) and, if it’s healthy, print out a few copies of the recipe & nutritional content. It makes you feel good.
5. Go read. A real book, with pages. If you’re not used to reading, find something short, perhaps an old favorite. Sit under a tree. Seriously, when’s the last time you DID that? Feels good, your brain will feel alive after. (turn off your cell phone)
6. Wake up early and MAKE breakfast at home. Eggs, bacon, toast, scramble, parfait. Sit and eat your breakfast without rushing. It’s an awesome way to feel ‘weekend-y’ during the week.
7. Go for a walk. Yup, that’s it. Walk. Outside.
8. Compliment your friends on things they DO or how they make you FEEL. “I admired how organized you are”. “You make me feel calm.” “I think you’re really great at _______ “. Avoid commenting on their looks for one day. Try it.
The list could go on and on. What would you include? What’s on your instant-karma list?